Green City Challenge – 5/6L Fix The Dam

Dear Bloggers,

Today 5/6L started the Green City Challenge.  The Green City is environmental utopia where everything is powered by clean energy and is self sustaining.  That is it will be when 6 major challenges are completed.

The first is to fix the hole in the dam.

The students, working in pairs, created their own solutions to built and program their robots to fix the dam.  When the robots pushed the ‘plug’ into the hole in the dam a green energy brick was released.  Students then returned their robots and energy brick to the base area.

This is an aerial view looking down onto the dam.

Here is the dam from front on.  The grey post in the middle of the water has to be pushed into the hole in the bridge.  This moves the black rod which inturn releases the energy brick.

The yellow brick in the front left hand side of the picture is the energy brick that has been released.

Here is the video of their work – please click link below

Video 5/6L fix the mighty dam for windows

Video 5/6L Fix the Green City Dam for Mac

See the photos below of the wonderful job the students did.  Please double click on a photo that you like to see the full size version.  Unfortunately the square thumbnails cropped some of the previews in unfortunate ways (eg partial chopping off of heads) but rest assured the whole photo is there when you double click on it.

We had had lots of fun and learnt alot!!

Mrs Garlick

2 thoughts on “Green City Challenge – 5/6L Fix The Dam

1. Hello, I’m a financial modeller at SA Water in Adelaide South Australia. I do a lot of financial modelling and have begun instructing some best practice and modelling courses in MS Excel. I came across your photo of two Lego men on a dam while searching for material for one of these course. May I have your permission to use it in my in-house instructional material? it perfectly embodies one of my favourite modelling maxims: “Essentially, all models are wrong. Some are useful.” George E P Box.
    Kind Regards
    Steve McClure